Leverage Your Learning
85% of rich people read two or more educational, career-related or self-improvement books per month, compared to 15% of poor people.
Tom Corley — Rich Habits; The daily success habits of wealthy individuals
Business owners often comment that they struggle to find time for education and professional development. Working on their business has taken a back seat to working in their business. But with some creative thinking, a siginificant amount of deliberate learning can be done without having to set aside any extra time in your day.
Here are some suggestions for opportunities to incorporate podcasts, audiobooks and webinars into your day.
- In the car (or taxi/train/bus/plane)
- While walking through train stations/airports and waiting for trains/flights
- In the gym
- Combine it with going for a run or walking the dog
- In the shower/bath/during an at-home spa session
- During a walk round the supermarket (coffee in hand, earphones in — my personal favourite!)
- As you surf the web or social media
- If you have young kids, pop an audiobook on for nap-time
- A solo visit to a cafe for coffee or lunch
- Whilst doing cleaning, gardening, cooking, baking, cleaning the car or other household chores
- During a decluttering session at home — with phone in back pocket whilst going from room to room (also ideal if you have a hands-on role such as cake-making, sewing, joinery or painting)
- While filing, wrapping birthday presents or folding laundry
- Poolside whilst on holiday
For compounded benefit, try using the 1.5X or 2X speed function on Audible or iTunes!
Download audiobooks or borrow CD versions from your local library. Second hand CD audiobooks from online auction sites or Amazon are an inexpensive option for stories you’ll listen to again.
Kindle has a great function of adding audio narration to selected e-book purchases for just a few pounds. A great idea if you want to switch between reading and listening, depending on your mood and location!
Better Organised provides professional decluttering, organising and PA services for the home or office. Please visit www.betterorganised.uk for details of services and client testimonials, or head to Amazon to order a copy of A Better Organised Home in 30 Days.