A Better Organised Christmas — 6 Weeks to Go
So, the APDO (Association of Professional Declutterers & Organisers) National Organising Week is over and it’s the perfect time to launch A Better Organised Christmas!
I’m all for doing a regular review of all things festive, so this weekly blog is a checklist that can be used as a guide to keep us all on track through the festive season. This week is mostly about planning and scheduling — some food delivery slots are already booked up, so I recommend setting aside some time ASAP to go through your diary!
- Make travel plans/book accommodation, confirm dates for any overnight guests
- Schedule get-togethers with friends/family
- Diarise/book tickets for outings i.e. markets, pantos, parties, visits to Santa, ice rinks, carnivals, school fairs, nativities
- Book any services to be done at home i.e. tradesmen, carpet cleaners, deep clean
- Make appointments for hair, beauty, tanning & nails
- Book babysitters and taxis for nights out
- Schedule an evening next week for writing cards
- Draw up a gift list & budget — remember to include gifts for teachers/colleagues/Secret Santa as well as any prizes for raffles or tombolas. Either keep a written list or a spreadsheet and update it regularly as you order/shop/take delivery of gifts
- Go through Christmas card list, update address book, do a quick count of how many cards/stamps/international stamps you will need (if you’re not sending cards this year, consider a donation to charity or popping a few items in your local supermarket’s food bank trolley instead)
- Do a stock-check of Christmas wrap and gifts — update shopping list if required
- If any outfits need dry cleaned before Crimbo this is a good time to get that job ticked off the list
- Book Christmas food/tree delivery slots
- Consider signing up to a cashback site before doing any online shopping (use it throughout the year as a savings scheme towards next Christmas!)
- Start looking at/reserving presents online (perhaps wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday before ordering though, in case of unmissable deals)
- Better Organised gift vouchers make an ideal present for anyone who would like a helping hand getting organised — or pop one on your own wishlist and let someone treat you to the gift of time. At www.betterorganised.uk you’ll find plenty of suggestions for areas that we can tackle!
- Order Christmas CDs, DVDs, books, activity books and Christmas stationery (i.e. notelets for thank you letters)
Out & About…
- Buy Christmas cards and stamps
- When doing the weekly shop, pop in a few festive candles, tealight candles, matches and batteries
- Purchase any new clothing required for the festive period, including party outfit(s), Christmas jumpers, PJs, festive socks, items for nativities etc. (remember tights and accessories too)
Breaking Christmas prep into small, manageable chunks works well. Pick and choose from the items listed above, spread what needs done across the week and by next weekend you’ll be well on the way to a Better Organised Christmas — and part 2 in this countdown series!
For more tips about being Better Organised please sign up to the newsletter via www.betterorganised.uk